Springfield 45/70 Trapdoor Model 1873

[ 1 ] 2 3 4 ... 5 Next >>
6 years ago #1
mikes351
Fresh Member
Blogs: 0
Forum: 1
Votes: 0

I have a Springfield Model 1873 that has been in my family since my great, great grandfather used it. I am looking for information on its value and just general information. I have posted pictures of it online, if you are interest email me for the address.
I have the serial number and all information if you are interested.

Posted on Springfield
Answer
6 years ago #2
bigcurt
Wiz
Blogs: 5
Forum: 5,159
Votes: 149

hello,,there were 73,000 total examples of the 1873 model trapdoor springfield made from 1873-1877,,markings on pre 1876 rifles were "model 1873" over an eagles head on the breechblock mid 1876 the markinge were changed to US Model- 1873 untill contract end ,,values these days are dropping off some and i've seen nice examples of trapdoor rifle between 700-1200 at gun shows recently ,,it seems there not selling like they used to,,, and the examples i've seen at the start of the shows were still there when the show ended at those prices ,,i do see them SELL in the 650 range but i really think that value is very low for the history these old war horses carry with them ,,but thats the prices sellers are getting when there desperate to sell these days ,,very cool that it has actual family history and the more documentation you can aquire on it will definatly help with values some where down the road if you deceide to sell it ..
bigcurt

6 years ago #3
5madfarmers
Ace
Blogs: 24
Forum: 665
Votes: 11

"Model 1873" trapdoors go to 1886. There were only two models as far as the army was concerned - 1873 and 1884. For carbines they also recognized the model 1877.

Strangely they didn't distinguish between the '84s and the round rod bayonet model.

The "positive cam" 1888 was another model but numbers were very small.

6 years ago #4
Wesley

I also have a wonderful 1873 Trapdoor 45/70 passed on to me by my Father, his father, and his father too! I had mine apprasied at $1600 and up. And this was by Nick Tooth. Cheers.

6 years ago #5
Michael

I had my appraised as well but it lost value as it had me 'made into a shooters gun.' But no matter it has been in my family for decades if not from the day it was produced so it has a lot of value just from that...

5 years ago #6
Platinum Member
Blogs: 2
Forum: 544
Votes: 3

got my 1884 trapdoor 'ramrod' bayonet rifle many years ago. compete with leather sling. mirror bore. paid $100 for it.
shoots better the I walk...........

5 years ago #7
Michael

I think it is time to get some ammo and shoot mine!

5 years ago #8
Platinum Member

if interested can give you safe re-loading info using smokless powder in lieu of black powder.

5 years ago #9
Michael

10-4, that would be great thanks for the offer.

5 years ago #10
Platinum Member

that's what we are here for....................

5 years ago #11
Michael

I forgot to answer... heck yes I would take any information on how to make a lighter load for my antique! Send away and thanks again.

5 years ago #12
Platinum Member

I assume you have somekind of loading press and 45/70 die set ?? Lead bullet mold at .462 diameter. ABOUT 485 grain lead bullet lubed. Insert 20 grains of 5744 powder. tap down small piece toilet tissue over the powder with end of a pencil. don't use any metal rod for tapping. the paper keeps powder directly in front of primer for max ignition.
if info not clear advise. If you are in need of few lead bullets I described, send address and I will mail them to you. Note that 5744 is a smokeless powder (not black powder) but also note you are using 20 grains, not 70 grains as with black powder, see the difference. don;t go over 20 grains.

5 years ago #13
Michael

Excellent I will have to try that, yes I do have access to everything that I need for reloading this beast. Thanks again

5 years ago #14
Platinum Member

ask away, anytime.............

5 years ago #15
1873 trapdoor

they go for 500 to 2000 depending on condition and whether it was cavalary or infantry

4 years ago #16
1873 Trapdoor

Hi
Would appreciate your formula for the smokeless power formula for the 45-70 round.
TKs

4 years ago #17
john

I use 20 grains of 5744 smokeless powder. It is a reduced load to equate with a black powder load.
Over the powder I put a 1/4 piece of toilet tissue, by balling it up, and tamp it down over the powder with a pencil end or 1/4 inch piece of dowel (don't use any metal rod) to keep the powder in place over the primer. I use a .485 grain LEAD bullet or similer weight. The bullet has to be seated down far enough so when you close the trapdoor it will lock. If the trapdoor does not close/lock it means the bullet has to be seated further down. There is a distance but I don't have it as my dies are already set for proper seating distance.
The 45/70 is classified as a .458 diameter bullet. but with perhaps a hundred years of shooting the bore wears and enlarges. that is why I use the bigger .462 diameter bullet. hope this is what you are asking for.

4 years ago #18
1873 trapdoor

John
Thank for the info. anxious to start bustin off a few rounds.

4 years ago #19
john

cheers

4 years ago #20
Bill Marks

I have the same rifle---I owned it since 1975. If you hear anything about your rifle, please let me know.

Thank you,

Bill Marks

4 years ago #21
john

send me serial number and I will tell you when it was made

4 years ago #22
mikes351

John,

I got the information when I had it inspected and valued.

thanks,

Michael

4 years ago #23
john

o.k.

4 years ago #24
Rocketmanzzz

The serial number on my Springfield is 101781 Would appreciate knowing the year it was made.It's really in good shape and has 90% of original bluing.

4 years ago #25
John

your trapdoor was made in 1879.

4 years ago #26
Rocketmanzzz

Thanks great information and nice to know.

4 years ago #27
Dick

I have SN # 147430 from my family.

4 years ago #28
john

trapdoor rifle serial # 147430 was made in 1881

4 years ago #29
Dick

Thanks

4 years ago #30
john

anytime...

By entering this site you declare you are 18 or older, you read and agreed to its Terms, Rules & Privacy and you understand that your use of the site's content is made at your own risk and responsibility.
Copyright © 2006 - 2016 Gun Values Board