I have a Winchester Model 12 16 gauge 2 3/4 in 28 inch full ...

5 years ago #1

I have a Winchester Model 12 16 gauge 2 3/4 in 28 inch full choke barrell. Winchester Proof Steel about 80-90% blued all original hard butte plate with Winchester Repeating Arms Co emblem pistol grip, grooved pump, serial no 1645099 and FP stamped behind the trigger. I believe it's a standard field model with a milled rib and was manufactured about 1945-1953 I think and is in good condition. Also has original stock, walnut I believe. The best working shotgun I've seen or used. Was curious as to the approximate value?

JR

Posted on Winchester
Answer
5 years ago #2
Bert H.
Scholar
Blogs: 15
Forum: 24,863
Votes: 743

Hello JR,

The serial number tells us that it is an early 1955 vintage gun.

A milled rib is a rarity on a Field grade gun of that vintage. Can you post several pictures of your gun?

Bert H.

5 years ago #3
JR

Bert,
Well maybe it's not milled but I thought all the pre 64s were hand milled but it is not vented and I know the gun was purchased before 55 because my grandfather ordered it before my uncle got back from Korea in 53 so it's probably a 51 or 52 year make most likely. My pictures didn't come out that great but hopefully I can load them and give you a better idea about it. I also have a couple belgium brownings a A5 12 ga with 28 and 24 in barrel serial no H 59844 St. Louis Mo special steel and a A5 Light Twelve with 26 in barrel serial no OG 81332 St Louis Mo & Montreal PQ. **special steel with gold trigger. Both a couple years older than the model 12.

Thanks,
JR

5 years ago #4
Bert H.
Scholar
Blogs: 15
Forum: 24,863
Votes: 743

Hello JR,

Please do not take offense to this, but your dates are not correct. I have access to the original Winchester factory records (I work as an official volunteer at the Cody Firearms Musuem Research Office several weeks each summer), and as such, I can positvely tell you that serial number 1645099 was manufactured in February of 1955. If you would like to know the exact date, contact the Cody Firearms Musuem and for a nominal fee, they can provide you with the exact date (day, month, & year) that your gun was serialized.

Back to your gun, it has a standard plain (non-ribbed barrel). There is a fair amount of bluing loss on the front end of the receiver (typical wear when frequentlly used in the field), and the forward bottom end of the receiver frame is completely devoid of bluing (again, quite normal on a gun that was hunted with).

Based on what I can see of it, it is a $400 gun.

In regards to your Browning Auto-5 shotguns, the first is essentially the same age as the Model 12.

Serial H59844 is a 1955 vintage standard weight gun. The "H" tells us that it is a standard weight gun versus a Lightweight or Magnum.

Serial 0G 81332 is a 1960 vintage Light Twelve. The numeral "0" = 1960, and the "G" is Lightweight.

Bert H.

5 years ago #5
JR

Bert,

Thanks for the information, they must have been off by a couple years as to when they purchased the gun. I appreciate your help on the matter.

Thanks,
JR

4 years ago #6
Nick

Sorry for being so late but what if this gun was in mint condition? I've found one exactly like it thats in perfect condition and never been shot.

By entering this site you declare you are 18 or older, you read and agreed to its Terms, Rules & Privacy and you understand that your use of the site's content is made at your own risk and responsibility.
Copyright © 2006 - 2016 Gun Values Board